Step 1: Application Process
- Only a custodial parent or legal guardian may apply.
- Applications may be completed in person at the following locations:
- Columbus Metropolitan Library Branches on Saturday mornings – Check the 2017 Library Schedule or the Upcoming Events on the Home tab for specific dates, times and locations
- Charity Newsies Headquarters – Directions to Headquarters Complete an application at Charity Newsies Headquarters during the following times: Monday thru Friday, August 7th thru December 1st 9:00am – 12:30pm.
- The following documents are required when applying:
- Social Security card, or Taxpayer ID number, and photo identification for yourself (driver’s license, state ID, Resident Alien Card, etc.)
- Proof of household income (benefits letter, recent pay stub, etc.)
- Social Security card for each child to be clothed
After applying, please allow at least three weeks before calling to check on the status of your application. We clothe thousands of children each year with limited staff and volunteers so we appreciate your patience.
Step 2: Home Visit
- Beginning with the 2017-2018 school year, we will conduct home visits only with families that are new to Charity Newsies.
- The parent, guardian, or a responsible adult 18 years of age or older and all children listed on the application must be present during the home visit.
- No appointments will be made for the home visit.
- During the application process, let us know the best times to make the visit.
- Two Charity Newsies members, who are volunteers, will visit your home to determine the need of each school-aged child and to encourage students to stay in school and always do their best.
- The Newsies volunteers will make three attempts and then return your application to Headquarters if you are not home.
- If you have an address change, please be sure to call our office at 614-263-4300 so that Newsies volunteers can complete your Home Visit.
Step 3: Clothing Appointment
- Once the Home Visit is completed successfully, you will receive a clothing appointment date and time to bring your children to Newsies Headquarters to receive their school clothing. All children listed on the application must be present during this appointment.
- Appointment times are given during the home visit.
- Any responsible adult may bring the children to Headquarters for the Clothing Appointment. However, due to limited space, only one adult is permitted in the clothing room with their children.
- It is very important that you arrive on time for your appointment to avoid excessive waiting times. We close promptly at 12:30pm.
- We ask that your child stay seated quietly with you while waiting to enter the clothing room.
- Based on the need determined during the Home Visit, each child may be eligible to receive the following items:
- new coat
- pair of gloves and a hat
- jeans or uniform pants
- shirts (polo shirts for uniform students)
- underclothing and socks
- If your child wears a uniform, one uniform voucher will be issued to each eligible child. If the cost of the uniform exceeds the stated value of the voucher, you are responsible for paying for the difference. If the purchase is less than the stated value of the voucher, the store will not give you change, and you cannot buy other items to make up the difference.
- voucher for shoes
- will show the child’s name, age and gender and may only be used for the child named on the voucher. The child must be present at the time of purchase to redeem the voucher.
- may be redeemed at any Payless Shoe Store in Franklin County Ohio only
- if the cost of the shoes exceeds the stated value on the voucher, you are responsible for paying the difference. If the purchase costs less than the stated value, the store will not give you change
- each voucher will be valid for a period of two weeks, with the specific dates listed. Lost, stolen or expired vouchers cannot be reissued
- If you cannot make your appointed time and date, or if some of the children cannot come on that date, you may always return to Charity Newsies any date after your scheduled appointment, Monday through Friday. We ask that you try to come at the same time as published on your appointment card.